ISC dual boot

Kimmo Suominen Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
Tue Mar 5 06:21:13 AEST 1991

>How do you do this.  I have tried to define D: in vpix as /dev/rdsk/1p1
>and vpix won't accept it.

There was something strange about this - I think you needed to use
1p0.  I know the manual says otherwise, and I know it seems funny to
use the entire disk - but it works...

Brandon> As far as the VP/ix definition of the D drive in the
Brandon> vpix/vpix.cnf file, I definitely wouldn't suggest doing it
Brandon> this way. This method only leads to a ~single-user"
Brandon> capability to the DOS partition. A better way is to use Unix
Brandon> to mount the partition:

Brandon> 	# mount -f DOS /dev/dsk/1p1 /drived

But this will cause VP/ix to think it is a Unix file system, and
certain programs perform more nicely on a DOS file system.  Also, WP
won't work at all on a Unix file system.  And there's more: if you for
instance do a BIIIG XCOPY or RESTORE from a backup, you'll hit the
inode limit on the DOS file system through Unix.  This will be really
messy, as you will end up looping through the same files all over
again, or, as in the case of restore, the command will terminate in
the middle of its work.

But it is true, multi-user only works through mounts in the Unix file
system.
Kim                      /  Internet: Kimmo.Suominen at lut.fi
"That's what I think."  /   Bitnet:   KIM at FINFILES