Mach from mt Xinu

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Thu Mar 14 16:36:08 AEST 1991

In <514 at bria>, uunet!bria!mike wrote:

> I don't think that this is a very realistic expectation.  Providing
> a money back guarantee without restriction is equivalent to hanging a
> sign on your front door stating ``No one is home; thieves are
> welcome.''

It's not so bad.  Yes, there are thieves among us.  But from a
vendor's standpoint, the risk may be worth it in order to minimize
legitimate customer's concerns, and thereby make a sale that might
otherwise be lost.

For example, there was a lot of speculation about whether Dell SysVr4
would run on non-Dell hardware.  Well, with the 30-day money-back
trial period, it's not that risky to just try it and see.  We use the
same idea to sell hardware to people unsure of compatibility.

This is probably a good point to have in the product comparison list
posted every so often.  I'm assume some other vendors do something to
minimize customer's risk.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789