Question about big ESDI drives under ISC

Tim Addington tima at bcs800.UUCP
Sat Mar 2 02:43:17 AEST 1991

I know that this stuff has already been discussed to death here, but
at the time, I didn't have the problem so I didn't pay any attention
to what was being said.

We are trying to upgrade our development system here to a 680 Meg ESDI
drive.  We are using ESDI because we are switching over from wgs6386's
and have a substantial investment in ESDI and don't want to switch over
to SCSI.

Anyway, when we try to load ISC 2.2.1 on the drive, everything works fine
until it starts making the file systems and we get a fatal error and the
install bombs taking the install floppy with it :-(

We have tried several different types of disk controllers and different
mother boards with basically the same results.

As a last resort, I tried to load SCO ODT and and it worked fine.
Unfortunately, we do not want to use SCO on this drive.

I have tried all possible configurations of the disk (i.e. native mode,
remapping, truncation < 1024, etc) with the same results.

Calls to ISC have proved to be futile in that the one time they called
back, they waited until noon here to call back. Of course, when we called
back, we got their dreaded answering machine.

I would appreciate it if anyone who has any ideas would send them to me as
we are getting desperate.

Thanks

|   Opinions Are Mine And In No Way Reflect Those Of Brock Control Systems.   |
|  Tim Addington                       |                 Home (404) 640-1385  |
|  Brock Control Systems               |                 Work (404) 431-1252  |
|  2859 Paces Ferry Rd. Suite 1000     |                  Fax (404) 431-1201  |
|  Atlanta, GA  30339                  |  {rutgers,gatech}!emory!bcs800!tima  |