video boards for X386

osmoviita at cc.helsinki.fi osmoviita at cc.helsinki.fi
Sat Mar 30 14:59:17 AEST 1991

In article <564 at bigfoot.first.gmd.de>, tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
> There is a limit to the resolution X386 supports. It's imposed by the hardware
> limits of the SVGA chipsets. (e.g. 1MB video RAM)
> Currently a ET4000 card offers the best speed and can be had for $150-$200.
> I have an Eizo 9070 (also known as Nanao 9070) 16" display, which I use at
> 960x710 pixels resolution most of the time. My VGA has a 65MHz crystal and
> RAM-DAC on it and that resolution yields a screen refresh rate of about 70Hz,
> meaning no flicker. For some games and all these X programs that think everyone
> has a SUN I can go to 1152x900 interlaced, which actually looks better than
> 1024x768 at 60Hz (it uses that same 65MHz oscilator and at about 40 Hz per
> half frame yields a stability comparable to an 80Hz display). For the 9070
> a 65MHz crystal is about the end of the rope, though.
> -- tom
> ----
> Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh at bigfoot.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub at tub.UUCP
> c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
> D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
> Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
> Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET at DB0TUI11 or
> +49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh at tub.BITNET

I don't have UNIX yet but I want to know if that would be suitable for
graphics what I have to do. This X386 and ET4000 combination sounds
interesting. I have the need to choose refresh rate. So is it built in X386
that one can choose vertical and horizontal resolutions and so alter
refresh rate? And is it even possible to change oscillator frequency. Which
particular ET4000 card are you using ( -- to get a 65 Mhz one)?

And is double buffering possible with that combination?  Is it possible to
change whole pallette during vertical retrace time or what is the maximum
frame rate when that is possible?

I just started to read this group and have not seen any description of this
X386. Could I get some information?

Thanks in advance
                     Kari Osmoviita              osmoviita at cc.helsinki.fi