VGA & CLUT (RAMDAC)

Thomas Roell roell at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Mar 21 23:14:23 AEST 1991

As perhaps some of you know, there are three different Color Lookup Tables
built onto a VGA boards. They all differ in the number of bits that are used
to specify a color:

471/171:	8 bits per gun
476/176:	6 bits per gun
478:		6/8 bits per gun

Normally you'll find on a VGA the 476/176. But there are some new boards
(Orchid Prodesigner II) that use the 478. As I saw from the pinout there is
one pin responsible to switch between 6 and 8 bits per gun.

So far so good. But there also seem to be the possibilty to switch modes
without hardware assistance by writing a specific io-sequence to this chip.
This is what happened to some users of X386 while displaying gif-pictures
with xloadimge.

My question is now: Has someone informations about this chip, and how can I
exactly switch modes (not by accident as with xloadimge) ?

Another topic is that I whatched on the CeBIT a VGA that uses a special
CLUT (from Sierra) which can do 32768 colors (truecolor). Where can I get
this CLUT & docs ?

- Thomas
E-Mail (domain):	 roell at lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell at tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."