Installing FAS in AT&T V/3.2.2

John Kennedy johnk at opel.COM
Sun Mar 3 23:18:55 AEST 1991

In article <1483 at cgh.UUCP> paul at cgh.uucp (Paul Homchick) writes:
>Has anyone installed FAS 2.08 in AT&T System V/3.2.2 ?

Yes (6386/25, SVr3.2.2), and did run into the same issues as you.

[description of undefined entry points deleted ...]

I did leave the asy driver enabled for /dev/tty00 and used FAS (although 2.06)
for additional devices.

>Yet another possibility is to keep the asy driver and assign it to com1,
>to supply the needed remoted console functions, and assign fas to com 2.
>Again, I am uncertain how to go about this.  Is it sufficient to simply
>set the sdevice.d entries for asy to 'Y' 'N' and fas to 'N' 'Y'?

see below

I did leave the asy driver enabled for /dev/tty00 and used FAS (although 2.06)
for additional devices.

>Finally, in mdevice, there is already an existing line for a major
>device #4...
>
>asy	Iocrwi	iHct	asy	0	3	1	2	-1
>clone	-	Scio	cln	0	4	1	1	-1
>
>Can I remove this clone driver and let fas use MajDev #4, or should I
>leave it in and assign fas to Major Device #28 (which is the next free
>number)?

Don't try to force major device numbers.  Let the Installable drivers
make the assignments.

>And if I do assign it to #28, what else, if anything, must be changed?

You won't have to know the major device.
The "node" entry associates the device name with fas.

Gory details of installation files follows.  Hit 'n' key now if not interested.

These are the setups that I used for fas installation.  The "*.sav" files exist
because ID will remove certain files from your working directory at installation
time, particularly Driver.o and perhaps space.c.  I keep a good copy of
everything in the working directory under "*.sav" and generate a fresh on
each make.

First, the makefile:
note that fas.h is copied to /usr/include/sys so that space.c will compile

Makefile:
__________

SHELL=/bin/sh
INCLSYS=/usr/include/sys
CONFNAME=fas
LKCONFDIR=/etc/conf/pack.d/$(CONFNAME)
DRIVER = Driver.o
SPECIAL = System Master Node Init
CONFSPECIAL = $(LKCONFDIR)/space.c
CFLAGS = -O -I$(INCLSYS)

install:
	@-/etc/conf/bin/idinstall -d fas 2>/dev/null
	@$(MAKE) $(DRIVER)
	@$(MAKE) $(SPECIAL)
	@$(MAKE) $(CONFSPECIAL)
	@/etc/conf/bin/idinstall -a fas
	/etc/conf/bin/idbuild
	/etc/conf/bin/idreboot

remove:
	@-/etc/conf/bin/idinstall -d fas

$(DRIVER):	Driver.o.sav
	@cp Driver.o.sav Driver.o

Driver.o.sav: fas.o
	cp fas.o Driver.o.sav

$(CONFSPECIAL): space.c
	@cp space.c $(CONFSPECIAL)

space.c: space.c.sav
	@cp space.c.sav space.c

Master:	Master.sav
	@cp Master.sav Master

System:	System.sav
	@cp System.sav System

Node:	Node.sav
	@cp Node.sav Node

Init:	Init.sav
	@cp Init.sav Init

$(INCLSYS)/fas.h:	fas.h
	cp fas.h $(INCLSYS)/fas.h

clean:
	rm -f fas.o Driver.o Driver.o.sav

clobber:	clean

_____________________

Next, the SPECIAL entries: Master, System, Node, and Init
I happen to be using 4 devices (after the single asy device left there)

Master.sav
________________

fas	Iocrwi	iHct	fas	0	0	1	4	-1
________________

Make these device addresses match your hardware.  Mine is unusual and
four ports on a card share the same interrupt.  Edit your address and
interrupt fields accordingly.

System.sav
________________

fas	Y	1	7	1	5	1a0	1a7	0	0
fas	Y	1	7	1	30	1a8	1af	0	0
fas	Y	1	7	1	31	1b0	1b7	0	0
fas	Y	1	7	1	32	1b8	1bf	0	0
________________

Node.sav
________________
fas	tty0	c	48
fas	ttyM0	c	208
fas	tty1	c	49
fas	ttyM1	c	209
fas	tty2	c	50
fas	ttyM2	c	210
fas	tty3	c	51
fas	ttyM3	c	211
________________

________________

Init.sav
________________

f0:2345:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM0 D2400
f1:2345:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM1 D2400
f2:2345:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM2 D2400
f3:2345:respawn:/etc/getty ttyM3 D2400

Of course, I have used different device names than the defaults suggested
by the FAS documentation.  The key, though, is that nowhere do I worry
about the major device number.  The fas driver does end up getting
assigned a different major than the asy driver.  The asy driver is left
in place for one device and FAS does the rest. Good luck.

John
--
John Kennedy                     johnk at opel.COM
Second Source, Inc.