Installing FAS in AT&T V/3.2.2

Paul Homchick paul at cgh.uucp
Sat Mar 2 08:37:28 AEST 1991

Has anyone installed FAS 2.08 in AT&T System V/3.2.2 ?

I thought I would try this, as I understand that the standard async
driver does not support hardware cts/rts handshaking which I need for
serial printer support.

If I change the values in /etc/conf/sdevice.d/asy to 'N' for both ports,
and change /etc/conf/sdevice.d/fas to 'Y', the link of the kernel fails
with a number of missing symbols as follows...

undefined                    first referenced
  symbol                      in file

asyinit                      /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
asyputchar2                  /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
asyputchar                   /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
asygetchar2                  /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
asytab                       /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
num_asy                      /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o
asyspdtab                    /etc/conf/pack.d/sysmsg/Driver.o

Presumably, these are entry points in the asy driver to support the AT&T
remote console features.

One guess at a work-around would add a stub function for each of these
symbols to the fas.c code.  This would, of course, remove remote console
support.  However, I haven't yet tried this, as I have no idea how
reliable of a kernel I would end up with, as it would contain a bunch of
empty function calls.  Another possibility, I suppose is to rename the fas functions.

Yet another possibility is to keep the asy driver and assign it to com1,
to supply the needed remoted console functions, and assign fas to com 2.
Again, I am uncertain how to go about this.  Is it sufficient to simply
set the sdevice.d entries for asy to 'Y' 'N' and fas to 'N' 'Y'?

Finally, in mdevice, there is already an existing line for a major
device #4...

asy	Iocrwi	iHct	asy	0	3	1	2	-1
clone	-	Scio	cln	0	4	1	1	-1

Can I remove this clone driver and let fas use MajDev #4, or should I
leave it in and assign fas to Major Device #28 (which is the next free
number)?

And if I do assign it to #28, what else, if anything, must be changed?

I know, I know, "so many questions."  Still, any help would be kindly
appreciated.
---
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul at dsi.com
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK