a question re perstor controllers

Jerry Sheckel jerry at polygen.uucp
Wed Mar 27 02:47:24 AEST 1991

gt3408a at prism.gatech.EDU (DYKES,DAVID PRESTON) writes:

>	Question number two...  Do any of ya'll have any experience with
>Perstor controllers and a 386 Unix?   Good, bad ugly?  As a dirt poor
>student these controllers sound to good to be true.

I'm in the same boat (dirt poor student), and I have a Perstor controller.
I'm using it with a Maxtor 1224 (160MB MFM) formatted to about 285MB.  It
works great, albeit not too fast.  The controller has no cache, and optimum
performance (on my system) is achieved at 3:1 interleave.

I've used it with SCO Open Desktop and ISC 2.2.1.  I've had no problems.  The
only warning I have is that you shouldn't mark bad tracks using the Perstor-
supplied low-level formatting program, or ISC chokes in mkfs during
installation.  Use the ISC bad tracker instead.

--
| JERRY J. SHEKHEL  | POLYGEN CORPORATION  | When I was young, I had to walk |