How about a thread on UHC R4 Unix?

Tim Jones timj at maynhbd.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 08:45:07 AEST 1991

Seng-Po, It might not be a good idea to dedicate a thread to only UHC, but
an SVR4 thread would be a good idea.

As for UHC, while we are not endorsing them officially,  we use their
SVR4r2.0 set for our departmental host and have had very few problems
(none that have not been resolved by a phone call to UHC TS).  It is
extremely stable (not one PANIC: in three months of use), has a very
good set of man pages (hard copy is available for additional $), full
support for X11R4 with Openlook, NeWS (Sun) and Motif and is installable
from tape!

We've also looked at Microport's version of SVR4 and found that it is
also very stable (we chose UHC as our host OS because we installed it
first).  It offers everything that UHC offers except X11R4 and Motif
(they ship X11R3 and OL/NeWS).  The support from Microport is also very
good (as it usually is from smaller companies).

I think that we can attribute the overall stability of the Intel SVR4
systems to Intel.  While they have dropped actual end user sales of UNIX
and turned over their customer base to Interactive, they are still the
compatibility and compliance manager as well as the main clearing house
after USL (was AT&T) turns it over for distribution.

The only reason that you probably don't hear more from current SVR4
users could be because no one has admitted to compleating any type of
news read/send port.  I am looking at Cnews and will post results to
the net as things progress.

Oh yes, there are still some poorly documented differences between
3.2 and 4.0, but these things are getting better every day (literally).

Tim Jones	...!uunet!maynhbd!timj		The words here are my
Keeper of the news -- Taker of the blame	own and don't reflect
Maynard Electronics, Inc.			anything outside of my
An Archive Company				own micro perspective!