Rebooting Sys V/386

Doug McCallum dougm at ico.isc.com
Sat Mar 30 00:16:17 AEST 1991

In article <570 at bigfoot.first.gmd.de> tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
>I was under the impression that the guy knew what he was doing. He would have to
>do the killing and umounting himself.

Probably a bad assumption anytime. :-)

>The problem with all methods mentioned so far is, that they won't work with a
>*remote* login (which he required). Now I don't think it's a very good idea at all
>to do configuration changes remotely, but obviously he had no choice. I don't know

To do a reboot when remotely logged in, it is only neccessary to convince
the system you are on the console.  I reboot across a network all the time.
To do this, simply do the following (in a shell script if you like):

	cd /
	shutdown -g0 -y -i6 </dev/console

Don't logout, let the shutdown throw you off the system.  A logout will
result in the shutdown being killed.

Doug McCallum
Interactive Systems Corp.
dougm at ico.isc.com