Rebooting Sys V/386

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Sat Mar 30 12:57:48 AEST 1991

[please write lines <80 chars....]

tmh at prosun.first.gmd.de (Thomas Hoberg) writes:
>I was under the impression that the guy knew what he was doing.
> He would have to do the killing and umounting himself.

unmounting yes, killing no (RTFM).

>The problem with all methods mentioned so far is, that they won't work with a
>*remote* login (which he required).

again, that is not correct.

friendly make-double-sure ultra-clean cookbook method [from remote -sh as root]:

cd /
echo "LOGOUT IMMEDIATELY!" | /etc/wall
sleep 60
/etc/killall
init s
/etc/umountall
init 6
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: