MMDF machine to machine mappings?

David Fiander david at sco.COM
Wed Mar 20 05:14:06 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar19.034748.15021 at ingres.Ingres.COM> thomasm at snoopy.Ingres.COM (Tom Markson) writes:
>Can machine to machine mappings be done under mmdf in Open Desktop?  For
>instance, I receive mail from person at company.com.  Now, if I try to
>send mail to them, I get huge amounts of bounced messages.  If I send
>it to person at machine.company.com, it gets through.  Now I know that their
>mailer is screwed up, but I've got to fix it on my end.

It depends.  If you just want to map from "company.com" to
"machine.company.com" unconditionall (e.g. all mail to sco.com goes to
sosco.sco.com), then it's simple.  Add an entry to the appropriate
domain table (ie "com", or "") of the form

	company:	machine.company.com	(in the "com" domain)
or
	company.com:	machine.company.com	(in the "" domain)

>Another case in which I have problems is this:
>         uucp
>Machine A -> Machine B
>                  \   <-------uucp
>		   My Machine
>
>I receive mail this way, but want to reply directly to machine A without
>going through machine B.  The From: Address I get is machineA!person at machineB.
>I need to reduce this to machineA!person.  I have a uucp line to machine A,
>but cannot seem to get any of the alias files to cope with this.

Are you sure that it's not going directly to machineA if you just reply?
If ap=822 is set on the UUCP channel, then machineA!person at machineB will
probably be rewritten on the way out, and the channel tables for UUCP
should contain a line specifying the direct connection to machineA, so
mail destined for it shoudl go directly.  NOTE: I am not as certain about
this as I am about your first problem; getting a detailed answer would
take a lot more information than I have right now.

>Any help with this would be MUCH MUCH appreciated.  Constantly rewriting
>reply addresses is driving me completely mental...
>--
>Tom Markson					Unix Systems
>email: thomasm at ingres.com

David J Fiander