cpio hangs on end of tape, Archive 2150S with Adaptec 1542B, ISC 2.2.1

Edward N. Kittlitz kittlitz at granite.cr.bull.com
Tue Mar 5 05:05:36 AEST 1991

In article <1550 at aut.autelca.ascom.ch> jsmithso at aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) writes:
>I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
>My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape.

I was involved with a problem in end-of-tape processing on another tape
driver. By the time I got to it, there were some people who (erroneously)
believed that the driver went through the HPDD (high-performance-disk-driver)
mechanism. It didn't, but that did not stop ISC from discovering problems
with EOT handling on drivers which do go through HPDD.

It is my belief that the fix for this is not in 2.2.1. You will
need to contact ISC to verify this.
E. N. Kittlitz	kittlitz at world.std.com / kittlitz at granite.cr.bull.com
Contracting at Bull, but not alleging any representation of their philosophy.