cpio hangs on end of tape, Archive 2150S with Adaptec 1542B, ISC 2.2.1

Jim Smithson jsmithso at aut.autelca.ascom.ch
Mon Mar 4 21:55:54 AEST 1991

I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape. The tape is
rewound and the drive access LED remains on.
I expect to see the message:
	"If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready."
I have a Archive 2150S SCSI 150 Megabyte tape drive and a Adaptec 1542B SCSI
controller in my 486 system.
I have installed the upgrade to Interactive UNIX 2.2.1.(Which by the way came
with no documentation from my soon to be former distributor).
I am using NC-600XTD Nashua tapes (I believe these are the same as the
certified DC600XTD tapes mentioned in TAPE(7)).
I have checked the EPROMS in the 2150S but cannot find a revision number,
the marking is:		21247-805
			C/S 1849
There is a mention of a revision number on the main circuit board:
			Archive Corp.
			80688-
			REV		005B
I would think this unit is up to the specs mentioned in TAPE(7) since the
warranty stickers seem to show that it was manufactured in Feb. 1991.

I have even tried removing the jumper on the 1542B which enables synchronous
transfer negotiation (J5-1). With no jumper, same result, hung cpio.

Here is the device node to the tape:
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      41,  8 Mar  4 10:16 /dev/tape
I tried using/making different type of dev. nodes, but no luck. I even got a
DOUBLE PANIC when using a node I made as: mknod nw150tape c 41 15
The message said: "gdev_start bad drq_type 3"

The strapping on the 2150S as it came from the dealer:
		____________________
		| Power		1  |
		\__________________/
		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
		   *  *  *--*  *  * (1)
		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

I did not get any documentation with the drive. :-(
I tried the settings used in our NCR Tower 32/650 tape drive (also 2150S):
		____________________
		| Power		1  |
		\__________________/
		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

I have only the 2150S and the Hard disk (Micropolis 1684-7) on the internal
SCSI bus. No devices on the external bus. I would think that if the bus was
not terminated properly, it would not work at all.
Any help is appreciated. Thanx in Advance!

--
James R. Smithson	Ascom Autelca AG      CH-3073 Guemligen/Switzerland
E-mail: jsmithso at autelca.ascom.ch   FAX: +41 31 529 544 Voice : +41 31 529 214