SCO MMDF receive mail problem

James C. Bohem james at ucscb.UCSC.EDU
Fri Mar 15 12:54:05 AEST 1991

In article <599 at bellahs.UUCP> neff at bellahs.UUCP (Dan Neff) writes:
>Please repond to this article in the newsgroup you read it from. Our email
>is bouncing and the only way to get your responses is off of usenet.
>
>All inbound mail to our system is bouncing, and we are getting the following
>error messages in the /usr/mmdf/log/... files.
>
>chan.log
>--------
> 3/13 17:11:37 rmail 1625:  Initialization failure 'only root, mmdf and daemons may name source host'
>
>msg.log
>-------
> 3/14  1:11:37 submit1626:  xin only root, mmdf and daemons may name source host

For a first hunch, run (from the root directory):

fixperm -n -dUUCP -dMAIL /etc/perms/ext

Then run:

/usr/mmdf/bin/checkup

Correct any problems reported, except files that should be empty, and
reports of incorrect perms (are 0700, should be 0707) in
/usr/spool/mmdf/*.

Beware that MMDF is very unhappy with database files in /usr/mmdf/table
being owned by anyone but user mmdf. Make sure that when you rebuild the
database (/usr/mmdf/table/dbmbuild) you have su'd to mmdf first. If
you do find anything with incorrect owner/perms, it's a good idea to
rebuild the database after correcting the problem(s).

It really doesn't matter how uucp gets run - I have flaky connects,
and often fire off uucico from a user account to force a connection;
polling via cron is fine too.

Hope this helps.