Mach from mt Xinu

Melinda Shore shore at mtxinu.COM
Tue Mar 5 12:51:02 AEST 1991

In article <3366 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  Does it really run V.3 applications, and which DOS emulator does it have?

No, it doesn't run any SysV (binary) applications, and there is
currently no DOS emulation.  We don't have any ABI plans, either.
The user/programmer interface looks almost exactly like 4.3-tahoe,
right down to the system call interface, signal semantics, etc.
The executable format is even a.out.

People who are considering putting Mach on their machines should
think pretty hard about why they want Mach, rather than one of the
many System V variants out there.  The product is really designed
for programmers, not end-users.  Our experience has shown us that
there are a lot of people who want access to interesting technology
but for one reason or another don't have all the appropriate
licenses, people who prefer the BSD user interface, and people who
want to get a jump on OSF/1.  This product is for them.  So, while
it would be nice if mt Xinu could corner the 386 Unix market :-),
we are the first to acknowledge that this product might not be the
one you're looking for, especially if your primary concern is the
ability to run existing applications, such as word processors,
databases, etc.
--
               Software longa, hardware brevis
Melinda Shore                                 shore at mtxinu.com
mt Xinu                              ..!uunet!mtxinu.com!shore