Compiling Xview applications under ESIX-D using shlibs

john.k.sun johnksun at cbnewse.att.com
Sat Mar 30 03:09:26 AEST 1991

Got a question for you Xview users on ESIX-D out there:

How do you compile an Xview application under ESIX-D for the intel
386 using share libraries?  I got an error during linking:
(I am using Thomas Roell's X386 X11R4 on a AMI 25MHZ AT Bus machine
with 1MB SWAN SVGA, Open Look, and 8 Megs of main memory)

in Makefile:
--------------------------

LIBS= -lxview_s -lolgx_s -lX11_s -lpt -lnet_s -lnsl_s -lc_s -lm -lPW \
	/usr/lib/X11/X386/etc/gcc-gnulib
--------------------------
The error message was:

Fatal error in /bin/ld
Status 0213
*** Error code -117
--------------------------

However, if I don't use share libraries,
in Makefile:
--------------------------
LIBS= -lxview -lolgx -lX11 -lpt -lnet -lnsl_s -lc -lPW
--------------------------
The program compiled and ran successfully.
Note that the resulting executable is much larger than most Xlib
applications using share libs.  (about 1MB for a simple program, Geez!!)

Any pointers?

Another question:
Someone posted earlier that users need to include gcc-gnulib and others like
-lbsd, -lm to compile any Xlib, or toolkit application.  So far I have
them compiled and ran successfully without.  Any ideas?  Probably, I
wasn't programming *REAL LIFE* applications?

Thanks,
	John K. Sun
	johnksun at ihlpq.att.com