Dual ethernet support (ISC 2.2)

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon Mar 18 14:37:20 AEST 1991

In article <352 at audfax.audiofax.com> deb at audfax.audiofax.com (Deb Jackson) writes:
>Has anyone ever run dual ethernets under ISC2.2?  I've got it
>working, but only if I avoid IRQ 7.  (Yes, I turned off lp, and
>anything else that wanted to use IRQ 7.)   Does anyone know
>why I can't get a WD8003E or 3COM Etherlink II to work at
>IRQ 7?  Is this an ISC bug or is there something magical that
>one must do for ISC that one doesn't have to do for ESIX?

You can't use two 3c503 cards; I NEVER did get that to work.

A 3c503 and a WD8003 do work however.  But you have to edit the config files
and /etc/netd.cf yourself.  No big deal, but a small hassle.

>before and are just sending me what they've got on their single
>ethernet, 9Mb system), seem ok, except that periodically, for
>no known reason, a stream will hang.  Not exactly something
>we can afford.

There's a fix for the hanging streams.  I haven't run it long enough to be
sure it really fixes the problem, but it appears to so far.

Posted here 'cause I'm sure others have questions about this problem.  It's
been there since at least 2.0.2 (first one I used TCP/IP heavily with).

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]