Second floppy stopped working

Ralph Merwin ralph at swmerc.rain.com
Sun Mar 31 16:10:16 AEST 1991

I am running ISC R2.0.2 on a 20mhz Micronics clone with an Adaptec ESDI
controller.

While installing a 16550-based serial port, the FAS serial driver, Cnews
and Smail3, I somehow managed to confuse my system so that it refuses to
talk to the second floppy drive (which used to work just fine).  I went
the route of removing the new hardware and serial driver, to no avail.
If I boot DOS, the drive works, and the other drive works with both UNIX
and DOS.  When I try to access the drive with tar, I get the message:
			cannot open /dev/rdsk/f1q18dt
and from cpio I get:
			No such device or address

As far as I can tell, all of the dev-special files are there.  I tried
several of them with the same results.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what may be causing the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
Ralph Merwin - Merwin Software Services      ralph at swmerc.rain.com
6782 SW 162nd Drive, Beaverton, OR  97007    72170.151 at compuserve.com