Wangtek 5099

Ken Mitchum km at dsl.pitt.edu
Fri Mar 15 09:21:43 AEST 1991

>>Sorry to repost this request, but I have not heard from anyone on
>>this subject. I have a Wangtek 5099EN24 60mb drive that I would like
>>to attach a scsi controller to. I would appreciate hearing from
>>anyone using this drive with a scsi controller, and what controller
>>you are using.
>
>Maybe this is the whole point of your question, but- Wangtek -EN drives
>require a PC-36 type controller; it's the -ES tape units that you use with
>a SCSI adapter.  I don't believe (I'm sure to be corrected) that you can
>get there from where you are...
>
>Maybe you are trying to convert the unit somehow??

Yes I am. The EN24 is a QIC36 drive. Sun used it with an Emulex MT02
QIC36 to scsi controller in their shoeboxes, and the combination is fast.
Based on that combo, I got an EN24 and MT02. Surprise - the MT02 does not
correctly support inquiry/read capacity commands, so that systems that
look for scsi devices on startup never find it (i.e. ISC Unix, Macs,
both MacOs and A/UX). This is not a problem on the Sun because it the
software is already set up for it. The only other QIC36 to scsi controller
that I know of is the Adpatec 3530 (fairly old), but I don't know if it
will work any better than the Emulex in an auto-configure system. That
was the reason for the question, to see if anyone else is using the EN24
with a QIC36 to scsi controller, and what their experience has been.
Sorry if the original posting was not clear enough.

  Ken Mitchum
  km at cs.pitt.edu