cpio hangs on end of tape, Archive 2150S with Adaptec 1542B, ISC 2.2.1

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Fri Mar 8 00:51:55 AEST 1991

In article <1550 at aut.autelca.ascom.ch> jsmithso at aut.autelca.ascom.ch (Jim Smithson) writes:
>I am having problems making backups (cpio) where more than one tape is needed.
>My cpio process seems to hang when it reaches the end of tape. The tape is
>rewound and the drive access LED remains on.
>I expect to see the message:
>	"If you want to go on, type device/file name when ready."

Yes, I would expect that -- IF I'm using the raw device.   And in fact, I DO
see that.

>I have a Archive 2150S SCSI 150 Megabyte tape drive and a Adaptec 1542B SCSI
>controller in my 486 system.

Something is screwey here -- I have the same combination, and it works great.
No muss, no fuss, no hassles.

>I have installed the upgrade to Interactive UNIX 2.2.1.(Which by the way came
>with no documentation from my soon to be former distributor).

Well, if you're buying as a dealer, you're supposed to know what you're
doing :-)  Seriously, the 2150S drives normally do not have any docs --
unless you buy the manuals from Archive.  Most people don't.

>I am using NC-600XTD Nashua tapes (I believe these are the same as the
>certified DC600XTD tapes mentioned in TAPE(7)).

Those should work.

>			REV		005B
>I would think this unit is up to the specs mentioned in TAPE(7) since the
>warranty stickers seem to show that it was manufactured in Feb. 1991.

I have a 5B rev unit as well.  Works fine.

>I have even tried removing the jumper on the 1542B which enables synchronous
>transfer negotiation (J5-1). With no jumper, same result, hung cpio.

Put that one back in -- it should be there.

>Here is the device node to the tape:
>crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      41,  8 Mar  4 10:16 /dev/tape

That's correct.

>The strapping on the 2150S as it came from the dealer:
>		____________________
>		| Power		1  |
>		\__________________/
>		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
>		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
>		   *  *  *--*  *  * (1)
>		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6

Try ID = 4.  (Ie: remove strap (2)).  That's where mine (and all the ones I
install) are.

>		____________________
>		| Power		1  |
>		\__________________/
>		   *  *  *--*  *--* (4)
>		   *  *  *  *  *--* (2)
>		   *--*  *--*  *  * (1)
>		   Factory     SCSI ID = 6
>
>I have only the 2150S and the Hard disk (Micropolis 1684-7) on the internal
>SCSI bus. No devices on the external bus. I would think that if the bus was
>not terminated properly, it would not work at all.
>Any help is appreciated. Thanx in Advance!

I am not sure where the jumpers on my unit are... I do have it set for the
maximum buffer size; it seems to help the transfer rate.  Other than that,
and the ID (4 is usually the one I use) I can't see any reason for it not to
work as it should.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]