BRUMBY 8-port vs ESIX security bug patch

Bob Willcox bob at rancor.UUCP
Tue Mar 26 10:33:50 AEST 1991

In article <295 at rancor.UUCP> bob at rancor.UUCP I wrote:
>I believe I have discovered an incompatibility between the ESIX patch
>for the u_block security bug and my BRUMBY 8-Port device driver.
   etc...

Well, now for the good news!  After talking with Debbie at Stallion's
(makers of the BRUMBY card) technical support she directed me to the
/etc/conf/pack.d/kernel/space.c file (which was replaced by the
patch).  In this file is a structure which defines the tty line
disciplines (linesw) which installation of the BRUMBY device driver
modifies by adding a fourth line discipline.  Unfortunately,
installation of the patch from ESIX replaces this file with one that no
longer contains the necessary (for the BRUMBY card) line discipline.  A
simple manual edit of the new space.c file to include their two lines
(they are both flagged with a comment containing the three characters
"ATA") that had been in the old one and a rebuilding of the kernel has
fixed the problem.

Note that the patch appears to be working as it should (the test
program now memory faults).

--
Bob Willcox             ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!rancor!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224