Mach from mt Xinu

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Mar 17 06:49:46 AEST 1991

As quoted from <1991Mar11.225205.13658 at kithrup.COM> by sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
+---------------
| A lot of the questions support people at SCO get, I gather, are hand-holding
| type of things.  Things like "How do I remove a file beginning with a '-'?"
| "How do I do <such and such>?"  most of which are available either in the
| manual, the release notes, or by some thinking.  Guess what:  having people
| answer the phones costs *lots* of money, especially when the questions are
| stupid.  That is one of the main reasons vendors charge money for support;
| the charges do *not* cover the times when the questions do require some
| serious insight and research into the product.
+---------------

No argument.  Aside from the fact that having to staff for this can make it
real hard to get support for *real* problems (i.e. the current problem with
ISC).  Back when I was evaluating the then-new Informix-SQL 1.10, I had to go
through a number of levels of idiots who were convinced I was typing in
illegal SQL statements before I got one who understood that the fact the
example in the manual was causing SQL to dump core was in fact a bug.

| But, hey, it seems as if a lot of people reading this group want something
| free, so I'll probably get flamed (again).

Undoubtedly.  But recall my previous message in this group (90% of posts...).
It's not worth worrying about.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    Ham: KB8JRR on 40m, 10m when time
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		      permits; also 2m, 220, 440, 1200