Why can't elves cough? (terminology)

eric.a.olson junk1 at cbnews.att.com
Thu Mar 14 14:32:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.001906.29397 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Format.  However, note that V.4 will provide support for BCS (and there-
>fore can run COFF programs).  I don't know, but I would not expect support
>for ELF on V.3.2 systems--why retrofit it, rather than just go to V.4?

>	ABI	V.4	ELF	SVID 3

    The AT&T SDS 4.1.6 Software Development Package generates
    COFF output files.   The AT&T SCDE 5.0/3 Package generates
    ELF output files, and can accept COFF .o files as input,
    with conversion performed internally.  AT&T SVR3.2.2 and above
    systems can execute ELF format executables.   SCDE 5.0/3 is
    available for SVR3.2 and may be installed in a 'transitional'
    mode which allows both compiler environments on a machine at the
    same time.  In addition, SCDE 5.0 allows a choice of three modes:
    K&R, ANSI, and a mode which allows ANSI syntax and preserves K&R
    semantics in the areas where the semantics would be different
    (mostly involving promotion and unsigned comparison).

						eric olson
						eao at mvucl.att.com
						at&t bell labs, haverhill, ma.