Mach from mt Xinu

uunet!bria!mike uunet!bria!mike
Tue Mar 12 02:02:36 AEST 1991

In an article, rwwa.COM!witr (Robert W. Withrow) writes:

|Sell Mach (for the $1000 or $1500 or whatever) with an ``Unlimited
|Money back Guarantee''.  Provide bug fixes (as *distinct* from
|upgrades and enhancements) for free (perhaps by placing them on UUNET
|or something).  Upgrade and enhance the product once or twice a year
|for about $200-$300) and handle problems and questions without
|requiring support contracts.

I don't think that this is a very realistic expectation.  Providing a
money back guarantee without restriction is equivalent to hanging a sign
on your front door stating ``No one is home; thieves are welcome.''

|Of course, there will always be the small percentage of bums who will
|take undue advantage of the warantee, but experience shows that they
|are a very small percentage, and that the advantages greatly outweigh
|the drawbacks.

I think that you are overly optimistic in your views on human nature.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc., Los Angeles| Opinions stated are not even my own.
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike