MAIL TO INTERACTIVE

Neal Pollack nealpo at b1.ism.isc.com
Sat Mar 9 10:57:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar7.102132.15620 at robobar.co.uk> ronald at robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:

>Heh.   Do the mailers at ISC Support support Return-Receipt-To: tickets ?
>Some of the ones at SCO do.  If you have a replyable address, you can
>gain confidence that your mail to support at sco.com got there because
>it's mailed you back :-)  This can result in a rather full mailbox
>because you get a separate ack from each of a whole list of
>recipients.  (It would probably be better to set it up so that only
>the gateway machine ack'd it.)  It also helps keep the guys who are meant
>to deal with the problems on the ball -- they know that the complainant
>knows that the problem report has got there!
>
>--
>Ronald Khoo <ronald at robobar.co.uk> +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)

ISC uses sendmail.  Sendmail does support the return receipt, however,
most user level mail programs that make and send your message do not.
The Return-Receipt-To: header must be inserted prior to the Subject: line
in order for it to work.  While the experienced, Internet connected user
can do "telnet ism.isc.com 25", and construct the entire message by hand,
this is beyond most users.  I do not expect that mail, mailx, or things
like elm will put this header in for you, though I could be corrected.

Our Ten Plus user level mail software does permit this, so I would
assume that there are other packages out there that may permit it
as an option.

P.S.  The return receipt comes back to the user as mail from MAILER-DAEMON,
and therefore would probably be confused with a mail bounce unless
you noticed the subtle "returned mail: return receipt" on the subject
line buried in all those mail headers :-)

However, this may be useful for the curious.

Sincerely,

Neal Pollack
Postmaster
ism.isc.com