MAIL TO INTERACTIVE

Richard Foulk richard at pegasus.com
Mon Mar 11 02:51:08 AEST 1991

>ISC uses sendmail.  Sendmail does support the return receipt, however,
>most user level mail programs that make and send your message do not.
>The Return-Receipt-To: header must be inserted prior to the Subject: line
>in order for it to work.  While the experienced, Internet connected user
>can do "telnet ism.isc.com 25", and construct the entire message by hand,
>this is beyond most users.  I do not expect that mail, mailx, or things
>like elm will put this header in for you, though I could be corrected.

Since ISC's mailx has some really nasty bugs (at least in 2.0.2), I'd
imagine that many sites have installed replacement mailers like elm,
mush, etc.  I think most of these will actually allow you to edit the
header fairly easily (unlike mailx).

(ISC's mailx produced the first 16-megabyte core dumps I've ever suffered
though.  Sure slooows the machine down for a while.)

>Our Ten Plus user level mail software does permit this, so I would
>assume that there are other packages out there that may permit it
>as an option.

Just so people here don't get the wrong idea, here's one vote that
says Ten Plus isn't worth the price of the floppies they ship it on.
Just my opinion but, what a waste of time.  Too bad you can't return
junk software like you can junk books.

These are just little morsels that I seemed to have stashed away for
the right opportunity.

(If ISC's apparent new-leaf on support is for real I may be forced to
stop being so hard on them.  Who knows, maybe they'll even offer to
repay me for the support I was denied a year+ ago when I first bought
into their expensive can of worms.)

Richard Foulk		richard at pegasus.com