ESIX and Caching Motherboards

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Fri Mar 29 13:17:16 AEST 1991

In article <824 at oss670.UUCP> tkevans at oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>A photocopied "review" of ESIX System V, Rev D, which Everex
> [...]
>	"Our Acer's 32kb onboard cache must be disabled for
>	proper installation.  The same is probably true for
>	other machines with caches."
>
>Is this statement true?  Does anyone have any comments about this?

Not only is it true but it is true for one of Everex's own motherboards!
I bought an Everex Step 386/25 for two reasons:

   I was planning on buying Everex's Esix operating system and felt
   that would be the safest bet.

   It was the fastest machine in its class at the time.

It has been real annoying to have to run the system with the cache
turned off.  Especially annoying is when I upgraded from 4 Meg to 8.
I had to buy cache memory for the upgrade to work even though I had
to turn it off.  I really like Esix and their support has been great but
I really wish I had bought different hardware to run it on.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   There's no government