ESIX and Caching Motherboards

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Mar 30 00:35:48 AEST 1991

tkevans at oss670.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>A photocopied "review" of ESIX System V, Rev D, which Everex
>sends out in its ESIX information package to prospective buyers
>contains the following statement:
>	"Our Acer's 32kb onboard cache must be disabled for
>	proper installation.  The same is probably true for
>	other machines with caches."

They appear to be talking about installation time, not run time.  This is
usually one of the first things I do when preparing to install any OS
on a system.  During installation you want as few variables as possible.

My "rules" for installing ISC UNIX are as follows:

	1. disable caching, shadow ram, rom->ram copying, etc.
	2. remove all cards from the system other than the display and
	   disk adaptors.
	3. if the display adaptor is a 16-bit adaptor, move it to an
	   8-bit slot, if possible.

While these may not be necessary for all machines, it is easier to do
this on all of them than having to reinstall because one of these
problems bit you.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170