Logitech C-7 mouse and SCO-ODT

Wu Liu wul at sco.COM
Mon Mar 11 11:14:10 AEST 1991

/--iheitla at cs.vu.nl (Ilja Heitlager) said...
| Heeeeeeellllllllpppppppp !!!!!!
|
| Finally got SCO-ODT on my IBM PS/2-70 and that da#$%%&$&n mouse won't work.
|
| Ok let's start from the beginning.
| SETUP
| 	- IBM PS/2 Model 70
| 		4MB Ram
| 		80MB HD
| 		Additional VGA monitor
| 		(BTW Who can help me with that the buildin monitor won't
| 		 work too)
|
| 	- SCO-ODT
\--

You realize, of course, that the recommended minimum configuration is
something like 6mb RAM and 100mb of disk space... :-)

Open Desktop Release 1.0 doesn't support monochrome VGA monitors.  If,
upon boot, the hardware configuration screen shows that the console
video adapter is "unit=vga type=mono" or something similar, you're out
of luck.  BTW, Open Desktop 1.1 does support running Xsight on mono
VGAs.  The default configuration is for color, however, and that means
you're going to have to do some twiddling of the colormap and/or
resource files to get all 16 gray scales to show.

/--
| 	- A Logitech C7 serial mouse.
| 	  (No idea how this thing works, but it comes from a XT and it
| 	   works on that machine)
\--

This is very important; there are differences between the C7 and C9
mice; the C7 supported more modes than the C9 does.  I wonder if that
could be called forwards compatibility (as opposed to backwards
compatibility)...

/--
| DIAGNOSTICS
| 	I installed the package(Not ODT-DATA cause I only have 80MB)
| 	and (I didn't know better) directly changed the settings for
| 	the C9 mouse, as in the "Release manual".
| 	Well the "usemouse" utility worked correctly, only Xwindows
| 	was like my ex-girlfriend >> Looks nice on the outside, but
| 	you can do nothing with it.
|
| 	Well my last attempt to fix it and make it like my new girlfriend
| 	didn't work >> usemouse said that there was no mouse available.
\--

Actually, it shouldn't matter which Logitech serial mouse input format
is being used; I believe the C7 supports everything the C9 does.  It's
also odd that usemouse works fine but that Xsight doesn't, since both
use the exact same interface.  Are you sure that the C7 doesn't work
with Xsight?  What are the symptoms?

/--
| QUESTIONS
| 	- Is it possible to connect a serial mouse, or do I need a
| 	  ps/2 standard mouse.
|
| 	- Wat driver do I need (in /usr/lib/events/devices)
|
| 	- Why is there nothing in /dev/mouse for Logitech mice.
\--

It is possible to use serial mice with Open Desktop; I'm using a Mouse
Systems PC-Mouse myself.  I'd much rather have a 3-button mouse than
one with only two buttons; many public domain X clients assume three
buttons.

The default mode for Logitech serial mice under Open Desktop 1.0 is
mousel5.  The default mode for them under Open Desktop 1.1 is mousel4,
because the C9 mouse doesn't support the mousel5 mode.  Since you have
a C7, you should be able to use any of the seven that are present.
FYI, the only mode I know works with the C9 serial mouse is mousel4.
That doesn't mean that none of the other modes won't work, just that
it's the only one I know of that definitely does.

There isn't a distinct device entry for any serial mice in /dev/mouse
because there isn't any need for one; they're serial mice and as such
their data comes from the serial port they're attached to.  The nodes
in /dev/mouse are for busmice and/or keyboard mice, and will only show
up if you have either (or both) configured in.  Actually, if you have
either Open Desktop 1.1 or the SCOterm EFS, you will also see pseudo-
mice device entries in /dev/mouse as well.  The pseudo-mouse driver
allows you to use the mouse inside of SCOterm as if you were on a
console screen (SCOterm is a SCO console emulator for Xsight).