WD1005 ESDI controller: what modern controller is comparable

Alan Denney aland at infmx.informix.com
Sat Mar 30 12:48:07 AEST 1991

We'd like to boost disk capacity in one of our 6386s used for porting.
This machine is a 6386E (?) with one full height drive bay.  It currently
has a 135 MB Micropolis (presumably a 1355) ESDI drive attached to
a WD 1005-WAH controller.  I'd never seen a WD1005; I guess maybe
it was WD's first stab at ESDI (2:1 interleave?).

Anyway, could a WD1007A be used as a direct replacement for this pup
so that we can replace with a 300 MB 1558?  Is there any other magic
to watch out for?  At this point, I expect to have to:
    1) get new ROMs for the 6386 to get the newer drive table
    2) get a WD1007A-WAH, or slice up a WD1007A-WA2 that I have
       in order to disable floppy control (that much I've done before)
    3) re-LLF the new drive (and the old one, if also used) using
       AT&T fixdisk 0041

Also, if there is an easy way to turn the 1558 into an external
drive, that would be great.  Do parts stores carry external cases
with power supplies and extra-long cables that would accept a
standard full height 5.25" drive?

Somebody in the know, please check me on this.  Any tips appreciated.
Email is fine.  Thanks in advance.
Followups to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.

--
Alan Denney  #  aland at informix.com  #  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "Now they'll have this "Chunnel" thing, parallel tunnels running
  between England and France.  Let's see.  The English drive on the
  left side, and the French drive on the right side.   Hmmmmm.
  That's going to be one *busy* lane!"               - John Mendoza