WARNING : Deinstall in SCO UNIX DANGEROUS!

Ronald Ron L. Bolin 3945 snk= rlb at bsts00.uucp
Sat Mar 9 06:43:09 AEST 1991

In article <9113 at lkbreth.foretune.co.jp> you write:
>I recently ran into the following nasty in SCO UNIX.  Having just installed
>SCO TCP/IP I wanted to install SCO NFS.  Unfortunately, my machine didn't
>have enough disk space.  Going into CUSTOM, I noticed that there were
>several packages in the development system that I didn't need, like DOSDEV
>and OS2DEV, so I decided to deinstall them.
>
>This was, as they say, "A BAD IDEA!"
>
>Upon trying to deinstall OS2DEV, CUSTOM reported an error.  I exited from
>the program back into the SYSADMSH, and attempted to run CUSTOM again.
>CUSTOM would not run.  I exited SYSADMSH and tried to run it again.  It
>would not run.
>
>The deinstallation had totally erased the entire of /usr (!!!!!!!)

Say, I tried SCO ODT last year (Aug) with the same kind of results.
I wrote a complaint letter to their their VP about this an other user support
things; sent back ODT and bought another vendors product.  SCO should
be more responsive to users needs.

Ron

--
Ron Bolin	     	    (404) 529-3945
BellSouth Services   	    Rm 25M64, 675 W. Peachtree St.  Atlanta, Ga 30375