Name Server

Tony Mason mason at aurora.UUCP
Wed Feb 3 08:26:01 AEST 1988

Actually, it isn't too difficult to install the 4.3 bind stuff.  I just
finished getting Version 4.7.3 running on our Ultrix 2.0 machine.  If you
want a copy of the binary I'll send it.  If you want to do it yourself and
run into snags you can drop me a note.

There are four places where I've had problems building the bind stuff:

1. /usr/include/netdb.h.  The structure element h_addr_list causes no end of
problems.

2. strcasecmp() and strncasecmp() were used but I couldn't find them in the
4.3 sources we have or in the Ultrix stuff.  I just wrote my own (about 5
lines each.)

3. The syslog stuff is different.  I had to hack stuff up (again) to work
with the Ultrix syslog.

4. Rebuilding libc with it.  DEC has used some sun code so you can't do
module-by-module replacement.  So, I just used the separate stand-alone
library, libresolv.a.

The sources I got were from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, anonymously.  It took me
about five hours total to get it all working.

Tony Mason
Distributed Systems Group
Stanford University
mason at pescadero.stanford.edu