chained packet panic on DEQNA (uvaxII) ?

Brian V. Smith envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov
Sat May 27 04:08:36 AEST 1989

In article <8147 at boring.cwi.nl>, jack at cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

> In article <2717 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> >We are crashing on our Microvax II with a DEQNA with the panic message
> >"qe: chained packet".
> >
> Well, you could at least have told us which OS you run, and which
> version........

Sorry.  Ultrix 2.0-1.  BUT, in three years since it has been running
it has not ever given that error.

> Anyway, the problem is probably that there are packets coming in
> that are longer than one receive buffer (and, thus, get chained into
> the next buffer) and your software can't handle this. Depending on
> your OS, you might be able to extend the size of the recieve buffers.

I suspect that some other host is sending large packets that is making
our machine panic.  Do you know how to extend the size of the receive
buffers on Ultrix 2.x or Ultrix 3.0 (which we will be installing anyway)?

> Another (hacky) solution is to set the 'mtu' of all systems on
> the net to a value lower than your uVax-II buffer size.

You're not serious!  There are several hundered machines on the LBL net.