chained packet panic on DEQNA (uvaxII) ?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Thu May 25 07:28:24 AEST 1989

In article <2717 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
> We are crashing on our Microvax II with a DEQNA with the panic message
> "qe: chained packet".
>
> Any idea on what this means?  It usuallly happens when "rlogin"ing
> or "ftp"ing to a remote host.

It means that the deqna driver has received a packet > 2K bytes long.
Normal ethernet packets are limited to ~1500 bytes, but many systems
will generate longer packets if left to their own ends.  If you have
a Sun on your net, you should be able to use the etherfind/tcpdump
utilities to get some handle on this.

I've heard that sun NFS will use big packets, but there are parameters
in fstab to control this.  I don't see right off why you would have
problems with rlogin/telnet type protocols though.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net