Hangup on (failed) UUCP connection attempts?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon May 15 09:06:25 AEST 1989

In article <346 at amc-gw.UUCP> john at amc-gw.UUCP (John Sambrook) writes:

> I have a MicroVAX-II running Ultrix 3.0.  I am having a problem with
> UUCP in conjunction with a (very old) Hayes 1200 baud Smartmodem and
> would appreciate any advice anyone could provide.
>
> The problem is that the modem, when used by UUCP to place a call to
> another system, sometimes fails to hang up.

Make sure the hayes modem has it's switches set so that it terminates
calls when the system drops DTR and that CD to the system reflects
carrier detect and isn't being forced high.

> The modem is attached to one of the serial ports (/dev/tty06) on an
> eight-line serial board, through a full modem-control cable.  The
> line is configured (in /etc/ttys) as:

Make sure your board supports modem control and isn't being disabled
by the flags in the configuration file...

>     #
>     #Hayes 1200 smart modem. Switches set to 'English' mode.
>     # (touch tone dialing)
>     #
>     # switches = uudduuud (u=up, d=down)
>     hayes|h1200|smartmodem|HAYES smartmodem 1200 Touch tone (UNSUPPORTED):\
> 	    :cr:hu:ls:re:ss=\d+++\dATH\rATZ\r\d:sr=OK:sd#250000:di=ATDT:dt=\r:\
> 	    :dd#50000:fd#50:rs=,:os=CONNECT:ds=\d+++\dATZ\r:ab=\d+++\dATZ:

I'm not sure the oldest Hayes modems support ATZ to hangup calls as used by
the "ab=" and "ds="  strings.  Check your manual, you may want to change the
ATZ's to ATH0's if this is so, though I'm probably confused.

> I should point out that when the UUCP connection is made normally this problem
> does not occur; I suspect that somehow uucico is mananging to exit without
> making sure that the line is hung up.

Here, the remote system is probably hanging up on you, in the other case
you're probably left talking to your modem...

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net