Hangup on (failed) UUCP connection attempts?

John Sambrook john at amc-gw.UUCP
Mon May 15 04:16:31 AEST 1989

[ Note:  Please either post responses, or send mail to amc!john at uunet.uu.net.
         The system I am posting this from is not yet registered in the UUCP
         maps.  Thanks. ]

I have a MicroVAX-II running Ultrix 3.0.  I am having a problem with
UUCP in conjunction with a (very old) Hayes 1200 baud Smartmodem and
would appreciate any advice anyone could provide.

The problem is that the modem, when used by UUCP to place a call to
another system, sometimes fails to hang up.  This only happens when
the conversation with the other system does not complete normally,
for example, if the expect-send script in L.sys is wrong.  Usually
the called system will timeout and hangup, but some systems that we
call don't do this, with the result that the modem is tied up until
manually reset.

The modem is attached to one of the serial ports (/dev/tty06) on an
eight-line serial board, through a full modem-control cable.  The
line is configured (in /etc/ttys) as:

    tty06 "/etc/getty H1200" dialup on modem shared	# Hayes 1200

The DIP switches on the modem are configured according to the entry in
the /etc/acucap file:

    #
    #Hayes 1200 smart modem. Switches set to 'English' mode.
    # (touch tone dialing)
    #
    # switches = uudduuud (u=up, d=down)
    hayes|h1200|smartmodem|HAYES smartmodem 1200 Touch tone (UNSUPPORTED):\
	    :cr:hu:ls:re:ss=\d+++\dATH\rATZ\r\d:sr=OK:sd#250000:di=ATDT:dt=\r:\
	    :dd#50000:fd#50:rs=,:os=CONNECT:ds=\d+++\dATZ\r:ab=\d+++\dATZ:

I should point out that when the UUCP connection is made normally this problem
does not occur; I suspect that somehow uucico is mananging to exit without
making sure that the line is hung up.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Sambrook                        Internet: amc!john at uunet.uu.net
Applied Microsystems Corporation	 UUCP: amc!john
Redmond, Washington  98073               Dial: (206) 882-2000 ext. 630