Fsck 2.2 vs 3.0

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Fri May 12 18:48:57 AEST 1989

In article <12982 at ut-emx.UUCP> rick at ut-emx.UUCP (Rick Watson) writes:
> Why doesn't fsck think my disks were "unmounted cleanly" when I
> switch between Ultrix 2.2 and 3.0?  I'm shutting down with
> "/etc/shutdown -h now".  This doesn't occur if I reboot the system
> that was running.

The story present a while back was that the "dirty" flag was changed
for compatibility with the 4.3BSD "dirty" flag, to preserve filesystem
interchangability.  I don't know if this is precisely true, however
the release notes do warn about the situation.

> Is there a workaround?  Is there something dangerous happening that
> I should know about?

Nothing dangerous is happening.  If you are confident that your filesystems
are not corrupt then go ahead and do a "mount -o force ..." or let the fsck
run each time.  Do let it fsck once in a while for luck and job security.

Once you stablize on 3.0, the problem will go away.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net