Which disk to buy?

Kral braun at drivax.UUCP
Sat Aug 11 00:37:49 AEST 1990

In article <26C0DD8D.22566 at orion.oac.uci.edu> roode at anansi.acs.uci.edu
(Dana Roode) writes:

>We want about 200-300mb disks - what do people feel is a good performing,
>reliable, reasonably priced SCSI disk?  What we are familar with
>and/or have good access to include CDC Wren IV's, MaxTor LXT200s's,
>and the DEC RZ55.  Transfer rates on each seem quite similar, but
>the DEC disk seems to have a slower seek/access time than the other
>two.  Given that a paging disk will jump around alot, this seems
>important.
>
>Does anyone have any insight on this?  I am beginning to think
>it doesnt much matter which disk we go with.  Should we just stick
>with the RZ55?

I answered Dana's posting via email, as requested, but I have a similar
question I would like to post.  We have an MV3100 running 3.x Ultrix, and we
had originally purchased the machine with a pair of Fujitsu M2263s 650 MB
drives.  It turns out that the cacheing firmware has a bug in it, corrupting
data.

We are seriously considering tossing these back to the dealer and getting
either an RZ57 or a pair of RZ56s.  However, I would like to try one more time
to get a better $/MB deal.  Is there anyone out there running Ultrix with SCSI
drives that can 'fur sure' recommend any 3rd party drives?  We have need
between 1000 and 1500 MB, and we have an internal RZ23 (104MB) drive.

Thanx,

--
kral * 408/647-6112 * {uunet|amdahl}!drivax!braun * braun%drivax at uunet.uu.net
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."