Which disk to buy?

Dana Roode roode at anansi.acs.uci.edu
Thu Aug 9 13:50:37 AEST 1990

We are setting a group of high-speed workstations (perhaps DECsystem
5000s) that will be running very large 3d visualization packages and
codes.  We anticipate lots of memory and paging activity.  We are
thinking of buying a good amount of RAM (32mb) on each system, and
giving each a local swapping/temporary storage disk.

We want about 200-300mb disks - what do people feel is a good performing,
reliable, reasonably priced SCSI disk?  What we are familar with
and/or have good access to include CDC Wren IV's, MaxTor LXT200s's,
and the DEC RZ55.  Transfer rates on each seem quite similar, but
the DEC disk seems to have a slower seek/access time than the other
two.  Given that a paging disk will jump around alot, this seems
important.

Does anyone have any insight on this?  I am beginning to think
it doesnt much matter which disk we go with.  Should we just stick
with the RZ55?

Please respond via e-mail, to:

   Dana Roode
   droode at uci.edu    -or-    DRoode at UCI (Bitnet)