resolver

Michael C. B. Ashley mcba at magellan.phys.unsw.OZ.AU
Sat Aug 25 08:51:52 AEST 1990

In article <26D537A0.18921 at orion.oac.uci.edu>, iglesias at orion.oac.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) writes:
> Sounds like you haven't setup your /etc/resolv.conf file.  You can
> either do it by hand or run /usr/etc/bindsetup.

Thanks Mike for your comments, however, setting up /etc/resolv.conf
doesn't help either. I should have mentioned that I am trying to set up
a BIND secondary server, which according to the old ULTRIX 3.0
documentation must not have an /etc/resolv.conf file present (although
man 5 resolv.conf says that "The /etc/resolv.conf file is required if
your system is running BIND."). If I do create an /etc/resolv.conf file
and specify a nameserver, then the resolver does work, but my machine
has now become a BIND client and not a secondary server.

I should point out that the previous incarnation of the machine was as a
DS3100 running ULTRIX 3.1D, and the secondary server stuff was working
fine without /etc/resolv.conf. In setting up the new system I have used
netsetup install, bindsetup, and svcsetup.

Anyway, I think my best bet is to wait the arrival of the ULTRIX 4.0
hardcopy manuals on BIND/Hesiod. Thanks again for everyone's comments.

Michael Ashley  mcba at usage.csd.unsw.oz.au
Astrophysics Dept., University of New South Wales