rodent allergy (DEC Graphics Tablet)

Seth Goldberg goldberg at davidsys.com
Thu Aug 23 22:53:23 AEST 1990

In article <13961 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> The current DEC direct catalog lists a puck/tablet (VSXXX-AB) as a
> DECsystem 5000 option.  Does anyone know if this also works on a
> DS3100?  If so, does the standard "mouse driver" make it look mouse
> compatible to higher level software, or is this something that is
> handled at the DECWindows or X11R? level or at the application level?

I tried this once on a VAXstation 3520 running Ultrix 3.1 and it did not
work.  Since then I have seen an announcement by Digital about either
Ultrix 3.1d (the VS3520 had something earlier than this) or 4.0 that stated
it was now offering support of the graphics tablet (as they call VSXXX-AB).
So it might work now with the 4.0 release.  I was told by the local Digital
office that it would work under DECWindows as a subsititute for a mouse
and I never did get a resolution as to why it did not under 3.1
(low priority item so I never pursued it more).  It was a previous job
where I dealt with this so I did not get to test under 4.0.  I would be
interested in hearing from people who have tried to use the graphics tablet
under Ultrix 4.0 as a direct hardware substitute for the mouse.

But my impression of the device was that it is a direct hardware subsitute
for a mouse.  At least it plugs into that port on the back of any of their
workstations.

--
Seth Goldberg
Manager, Computer Resources