Swap space question...

Ross Garrett Cutler rgc at wam.umd.edu
Thu Aug 9 02:54:21 AEST 1990

Hello,
  I recently did a generic (default) setup of Ultrix 3.1d on a DS3100 w/8 MB
RAM and an RZ55 (300 MB HD).  I just did a pstat -s, and it said that 64 MB was
allocated for swap space!  Now I always thought that you should allocate
about double the installed RAM, but not 8 times!  Note that ~11 MB was
currently being used in an idle 1-user state (most likely because of that
RAM-hog DEC Windows).  Anyway, are there any recommendations as to how
much swap we should allocate?

On a similar front, we also have a VS3200 running Ultrix 3.0 w/8 MB RAM.
We have 16 MB of swap space allocated; if we try to run two programs that
should not fill up the swap space (each uses about 1 MB of text and data
combined), we get messages like "out of core".  Has anyone else had
this problem?  And how much swap space (in general) is recommonded for this
system?

Thanks much...
--
Please email -- I'll summarize.