DecNet-Ultrix / TCP-IP incompatability?

Jeff Michaud michaud at decvax.dec.com
Sat Feb 24 09:16:19 AEST 1990

> Help.   I have two dec3100s running ultrix.  One is a client of the
> other and they communicate via TCP/IP protocols.  I recently installed
> DecNet-Ultrix and found that the server no longer responded to NFS
> requests from the client.  My installation of DecNet was incomplete,
> i.e. I did not configure the nodes.

	DECnet, when it is turned on, changes the hardware address on
	the ethernet device.  The other TCP systems however that your
	system was/are talking to however have the old ethernet address
	in their arp caches.

	DECnet does issue the ioctl to send out an arp delete request
	when it starts up.  Maybe in this case the client didn't
	see the arp message.  The arp entry in the clients cache should
	time out anyways I believe.  You can also do a manual "arp -d ..."
	on the client to remove it from the cache.

|Jeff Michaud    michaud at decwrl.dec.com  michaud at decvax.dec.com|
|DECnet-ULTRIX   #include <standard/disclaimer.h>              |