uq0 being reset

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Tue Feb 13 08:30:34 AEST 1990

In article <3888 at ucrmath.UCR.EDU> russ at mays.ucr.edu () writes:
> We have a VAXstation II running Ultrix 2.0 with
> a TK50, and two RD53 drives (one recently added).
> From time to time console messages appear saying
> 	Force Error Modifier set LBN ......
> 	ra1g: hard error sn .....

It is important to understand that these messages are basically *fatal* -
meaning that you need to take action as soon you see them.  It is probably
an indication that either your drive wasn't adequately formatted/tested
initially or that it is picking up a new errors.

Typically, after getting a hard error, you want to do a backup, address
the error condition and the restore the filesystem.  You can use something
like "tar cvf /dev/null /mount_point" to try to figure out which file(s)
the bad spot(s) are in, if you care.

If the bad block(s) are in inodes or other unpleasant spots, your system may
crash when accessing the mounted filesystem or the filesystem may becomre
more corrupt.  Your uq0 hang sounds more like a drive/controller problem,
though I don't have any experience with the RD type drives.

> Lately these have been increasing, so I did a dump
> of ra1g, newfs and restore.  The restore died
> with
> 	uq0 being reset
> and the system hung. Now I can't do anything
> to that disk partition without the system hanging
> and the uq0 message appearing.

> Any suggestions as to how I can get my disk working
> again? Any help appreciated.

Sigh...  Run whatever formatter / initialization diagnotics you have at
hand.  The drive or drive/controller combination may be flakey.  If you
don't have anything, then it might be worth having DEC come in - a flaky
drive can cost a lot of your time and pulled out hair...
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com