uq0 being reset

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.dec.com
Tue Feb 13 08:59:13 AEST 1990

In article <3888 at ucrmath.UCR.EDU>, russ at mays.ucr.edu writes:
> We have a VAXstation II running Ultrix 2.0 with
> a TK50, and two RD53 drives (one recently added).
> From time to time console messages appear saying
> 	Force Error Modifier set LBN ......
> 	ra1g: hard error sn .....

> Lately these have been increasing, so I did a dump
> of ra1g, newfs and restore.  The restore died
> with
> 	uq0 being reset

	The "uq" mentioned is the disk controller.  For some
	reason ULTRIX didn't get any response from a command
	it gave to the controller so reset it.

	The two most likely causes are:

	1.  The disk is dead (*).  You might try reformatting it,
	    but that will probably only hang the diagnostics.

	2.  The disk controller is sick or dead.  If you can still
	    access the other disk then it may only be sick.  If
	    you have a Field Service contract give them a call and
	    suggest that the disk controller is broken.

> Thanks,
> Russ Harvey
> russ at ucrmath.ucr.edu
> {ucsd,uci}!ucrmath!russ

	* Refer to the Monty Python "Dead Parrot" sketch for more
	  information about this type of "dead".

Alan Rollow				alan at nabeth.enet.dec.com