DECserver 200 3.0 Software Fun

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Jan 3 06:26:03 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan2.151439.18234 at acd4.UUCP> mjb at acd4.UUCP ( Mike Bryan          ) writes:
> In article <9184 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>
> I just tried the same thing on Ultrix 3.1, but with DECServer 2.0
> software, and it works perfectly!  After messing around with it a bit,
> I discovered that the sleeps aren't needed at all.  I have a file
> with DECServer commands such as this:
> (That's six lines total, including the first blank line used to get the
> initial "#" prompt for the remote console.)

Sounds good to me.  When I tried it, I had the stack of ~11 server and
it seem to get confused around the middle.  I'm not sure if it was a
real problem or just the output got confused or I had an error in one
of the server names at that point.

I did notice that you could blast one server with all it's commands
at full speed, at least for a finite number of commands.  You might also
want to try with the system and/or server heavily loaded to see if things
fall apart.

The problem is that the DECserver command port is basically half-duplex and
tosses input when it's not ready for it.  Perhaps there some "wait for carriage
return after sending carriage return" interlocking that works for commands
with null response, but might fail when you do something like a "show server".
Of course for most "control" applications you just want to stuff it and
not worry about feedback other than errors.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net