DECserver 200 3.0 Software Fun

Mike Bryan mjb at acd4.UUCP
Wed Jan 3 02:14:39 AEST 1990

In article <9184 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>One of the things that came with my 5810 was "DECserver 200 Release 3.0"
>software.
>One thing that isn't mentioned in the release notes is that the reponse
>to the remote console port (ultrix ccr command) is much better than with
>the 2.0 software.  It seemed so much better that I decided to see if I
>could use a script to change a bunch of setup stuff, rather than doing it
>by hand.
>
>Amazingly enough, it worked fine!  Below is the script I ended up with,
>it's pretty obvious how to modify it to execute other command sequences...

[Omitted example showing interspersed echo and sleep commands piped
into ccr.]

I just tried the same thing on Ultrix 3.1, but with DECServer 2.0
software, and it works perfectly!  After messing around with it a bit,
I discovered that the sleeps aren't needed at all.  I have a file
with DECServer commands such as this:

ccr.commands:

access
mjb
show server
show sessions all
show users

(That's six lines total, including the first blank line used to get the
initial "#" prompt for the remote console.)

You can then issue the command "cat ccr.commands | ccr DSRV04", and it
will work perfectly.  Use of the pipe is the important thing, simple
input redirection, such as "ccr DSRV04 <ccr.commands" does *not* work,
as ccr will get "stuck".  Apparently ccr is doing some sort of ioctl()
which fails on a file, but not on a terminal or pipe.

Note that I also checked this on Ultrix 2.3, and it does *not* work.
The ccr program appears to want input from a terminal, and a terminal
only, under 2.3.

Anyway, since we're running Ultrix 3.1, it's a good solution for us.
Thank you, George, for the inital info leading to this!  It's going
to make our DECServer management a lot easier.  [And we won't even
have to buy VMS and that multi-million dollar Terminal Server
Management software! :-) ]

--
Mike Bryan, Applied Computing Devices, 100 N Campus Dr, Terre Haute IN 47802
Phone: 812/232-6051  FAX: 812/231-5280  Home: 812/232-0815
UUCP: uunet!acd4!mjb  INTERNET: mjb at acd4 OR mjb%acd4 at uunet.uu.net
"Agony is born of desire; that's what you get for wanting." --- Moev