Managing a network of UNIX workstations

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Tue Jan 16 08:36:32 AEST 1990

In article <12943 at watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>In article <4624 at helios.ee.lbl.gov> envbvs at epb2.lbl.gov (Brian V. Smith) writes:
>>Both the source and object files are stored on the remote NFS server and
>>there never seems to be too much of a network load because of this.
>
>We don't have a problem with network load either.  The compiles and such
>just take twice as long over NFS as doing them right on the local disk.

But that was the original complainant's point; that he was in a
software development environment, where you might want to do
fifty fix-and-compile iterations each day, and having to wait
twice as long would, of course, halve your productivity.

				--Blair
				  "Or worse, if you have a
				   habit of going into the
				   Usenet window while cc