/usr/new/csh file completion and "stty newcrt"

Carl M. Fongheiser cmf at obie.cis.pitt.edu
Tue Jan 16 03:41:13 AEST 1990

In article <9318 at cbmvax.commodore.com> grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>In article <21127 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hastings at hemlock.berkeley.edu (Mark Hastings) writes:
>> I've been addicted to csh's file completion feature for some time...
>>
>> But recently, I've discovered some programs (notably "rn") that unset
>> the "ctlecho" parameter (from checking "stty everything").   This causes
>> file completion to fall back into it's stupid non-crt mode.  Does anyone
>> have any hints about why this is happening, and how to fix it?
>
>I've had users notice the same thing, but never correlated it exactly to
>rn.  Makes sense though.  Usually they complain about escape echoing literally,
>munging their crt display.

My suspicion is that you're running an rn built to use termio to
manipulate terminal characteristics instead of the sgtty style
interface.

You can either apply the latest patches to rn (to patchlevel 43) and
rerun Configure, or you can edit config.h and change the #define
HAVE_TERMIO (or something similar) to an #undef.

>If it's something that reading and rewriting tty parameters seems to be
>loosing then maybe it's time for an SPR.

It only seems to be a problem if you try to do it between line
disciplines, i.e., change the attributes of a BSD-style terminal using
TERMIO or TERMIOS, or change the attributes of a POSIX terminal using
TIOCGETP and TIOCSETP.

				Carl Fongheiser
				cmf at unix.cis.pitt.edu